Publié le 23 July 2019
Welcome to Le Français des Affaires 5 tips series. Here we’ll give you 5 tips on how to improve an aspect of your Professional French.
Here are 5 tips on how to succeed at a negotiation in French.
1. Prepare your arguments, and know your weak points. Make sure you know your arguments well enough to be able to defend it, or you will never succeed in convincing another person that your option is the one they should follow.
2. Prepare responses to potential counterarguments. Your arguments will be stronger, and you will know how to respond when they bring up the weak points in your arguments.
3. Be respectful. Vouvoie the people you are negotiating with, unless you know them well and they have specifically allowed you to tutoie them.
4. Make sure you do not cut off who you are negotiating with. If you cut them off, you are showing a lack of respect. This means that they will less likely to show you the same respect, and you will have a harder time trying to convince them to agree to your ideas.
5. Know when to listen. Listen to the arguments of those who you are negotiating with. You need to be respectful in order to gain their trust, and you can learn a lot from listening to their arguments.
With these tips in mind, you can negotiate like a (french) pro!